Sunday, January 23, 2011

More vanity

Not that anyone cares, but my hair is a mess. I've been trying to go "natural" and stop using shampoos. So, last spring I switched to baking soda/water as a cleanser, and vinegar and water as a rinse. Result: Straw. Clean straw. So I changed the rinse to water/honey. Result: Ants in the shower and all over the spray bottle of honey/water, and dry, but less frizzy hair. Next, switched to olive oil based bar soaps. Homemade ones, like you get at the farmer's market. That plus the giant bottle of cheap conditioner you get at Costco. So I've been using that for a while, but lately noticed on closer than normal inspection, that my hair is so dry and brittle, it's breaking all over the place. Forget "layering," it looks like someone sat me on a spinning chair, spun the chair, and just started clipping wherever the scissors landed. It's not pretty. So I'm back to normal shampoo/conditioner for dry, curly hair. I did some research and found some products that will help cure my dry hair problem, but to buy them, I'd have to opt not to eat for a week or so. But I did find a cheaper version of the same, and am on day 2 using it, and am very pleased. My hair is shiny again, and is much softer. Hoping this will protect the remaining chopped hairs till they grow longer. The next option is just to stop washing my hair for months on end, which I have heard leads to beautiful, shiny, luxurious hair...yeah. Whatever.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm so lazy, I'm on day three of not washing my hair.
For the record, it does NOT look beautiful. Unless you're got some fetish for women with lank, stinky, dull grease heads.

Anonymous said...

That is a hoot! I'm with Cari, no washing is gross and I too am on day three at the moment. Though I do have to say you are very brave to have tried!!!! And for a year!! Hope your hair situation continues to get better.