Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Life goes on

Why is it that when you are about to walk out the door in a hurry, both baby's shoes are missing and someone (same baby) breaks a glass on the floor? The whirlwind that we live is such a comedy. You can choose to freak out and scream at everyone (occasionally I have done this) or just roll with it and continue to plow through the series of events. I looked at my house this week, which after caring for Debra recently, looks like a giant snowglobe that someone shook. I actually thought of just shifting rooms around since all the contents of each room had been swapped anyway. It took us yesterday morning to get most things back in order. Perspective, perspective, perspective. I prayed that I would learn that perspective, but more importantly, KEEP it after going through Rachael's cancer. Michael is growing up fast and already has mastered how to dangerously make his way to the tabletop. Rachael is getting ready to make her first Holy Communion this week, so there's lots of conversation between she and her sisters about her hairstyle for said event. (eyeroll here). Sophie is getting excited about their ballet recital in 2 wks.. Bret continues to play and improve at Lacrosse, which I still think is an opportunity to whack kids with a stick...hard. Summer is coming and both Bret and Emily are going to scout camps. Emily, my little maternal girl, is currently trying hard to nurse an injured butterfly back to health. Nature's cruelty is hard to swallow when you're 10.
It's been a busy 2 weeks here, and as I talked to another homeschooling mom, we all agreed we're pretty whipped. I don't know how I would have gotten through so much stuff in the last year without my faith and my church. I know that sounds cliche, but really: to walk from life issue to life issue, I feel like I took each step with the crutch of the sacraments, and with a priest to administer them. Lucky for me, I also have found priests that can not only administer the sacraments, but that can explain their relevance to our life. Fr. Bauer and others can take real life, and join it to the mystical life, and help you to weave it into your day-to-day. Each big step has some developmental milestone attached to it. Natural death, birth, growth and maturing, unnatural early death, the teen years, choices, decisions. We are on this wheel of life, where we have the chance to see its meaning in life lessons, and also have the chance to contribute to the good in the world with our actions. To know that you are making this effort because of the benevolence of God, His Son, His mother, and that ultimately, it all has a payoff, even if you can't see it daily. I like knowing that there is so much more to our walk of life than just drudgery. That suffering can be useful, that sorrow can dig your well of compassion a little deeper, that kindness matters since we're all shouldering our own burdens. Anyway. I'm in my thoughtful funk as Michael is chopping on my leg with a butter spreader...where did he get that??????

No comments: