Thursday, April 16, 2009

Sick at heart

I wanted to update with some new Easter morning pictures, but in light of recent events, I just can't. I'm posting tonight about a family in our homeschool group, who's dad was tragically killed yesterday afternoon. He was riding his bicycle and was hit by an older man driving a truck. It was a beautiful sunny day; how he didn't see Bob, I still can't understand. The sadness in the Firehammer house is palpable. That slow moving, don't-know-what-to-say reality is there. You want to take their pain away a little, reverse time, change ONE thing in the day's circumstantial line-up. I know that feeling of time stopped. Shock and confusion. "Can someone explain this to me again??" type of helplessness. This can't be real. Only it's not me this time, and someone else; my friend Debra has to feel the physical and emotional pain. Our unbelievable, fantastic homeschooing families rushed to her side, and we all took turns consoling, holding, and crying with Debra. Food, paper products, drinks, priests and rosaries all appeared as if out of nowhere. At one point we all prayed a rosary, led by Fr. Bauer. Moms, dads, kids, teens, all connected and praying for the consolation that only a mother can give. Yes, our heavenly mom. Debra said it best, "I have to hold onto the hope that I'll see him again." That's the gem that our faith holds: hope of a future in another life, another time. See you then Bob!

No comments: