Sunday, October 12, 2008

Zinc and night visitors



Bret built a couple of Zinc-y prototypes, but then landed on a brilliant idea and built it this morning out of an old building set of "k-nex" pieces and air soft pellets. Youthful creation meets teenage war games. Last night at 1:30 a.m. I was washing the mirror in the kids bathrm. (I'm not sleeping quite as much since I'm home alone) Suddenly there is a deliberate noise at the window like someone picking a lock. Frozen in adrenaline rush, I arm myself with a toilet paper dispenser and quickly pull back the curtain, hoping that the element of surprise will startle the intruder. There is a young smallish raccoon hanging by all 4 paws on the screen, eating moths. I didn't startle him at all. He was pretty focused. He and I sat nose to nose pondering each other, and then he went on eating moths. Who knew? When I opened the window, he jumped down and looked at me for a minute from the porch before he took off.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I hate it when my self-inflated place in the universe is deflated by something in nature. Like the one time I contemplated a tree on Michigan State's campus, known to be over 300 years old, every single leaf etched in perfect gold by the light of the sun setting behind it. Never in my whole life have I ever been as beautiful as that tree, and how humbling is that prospect?